What is UpReach in the Community?
UpReach in the Community CIC was founded by Ariane Mercurius-Taylor in 2018 specifically to promote private tuition and to ensure that it is accessible to students and young people who may not ordinarily be able to access or afford it.
UpReach in the Community provides you with various supplementary education services (wholly or partially subsidised) if you:
1. are struggling with subject areas;
2. want to improve your understanding of challenging topics; or
3. are at critical stages of your education and need extra attention to help you achieve your academic goals.
We are aware that continued support in your academic studies is just one of the important aspects in your life. So, this year, we are providing you with an exciting opportunity to gain important life skills through a range of online practical skills workshops so that you will be able to transfer your newly found knowledge to your academic experience, personal life, career and entrepreneurial endeavours.
This opportunity is open to young people aged 10-25 (with priority given to those residing in Brent) who would like to learn new skills. Parents are also welcome to participate!
What is the UpSkill Yourself initiative about?
Our intervention is intended to help bridge the predicted peak in the youth unemployment gap by equipping you with the platform and space needed to develop much needed skills to bolster your CV, skill-set and future business and workplace opportunities.
Our project aims to:
- provide a platform that will motivate you to create enterprise and work opportunities for yourself;
- provide you with skills that will strengthen your CV and future opportunities in the workplace and business ventures;
- equip you with subject / theoretical knowledge and real life experience that will help you to continue or complete your education successfully; and
- inspire you to seek out learning experiences and make progress in your chosen career path.
Preference will be given to those residing in the London Borough of Brent but we welcome registrations from all young people regardless of your location.
What do I need to access the programme?
The practical skills workshops will be accessible online via Zoom and you will be required to book your space in advance via EventBrite.
We just ask that you:
- come to the workshops prepared with paper/notebook and pen so that you can take notes and have something to refer back to
- have regular access to a laptop / mobile device, email account and stable internet / wi-fi connection;
- gain parental consent, participation and involvement if you are a child or young person under the age of 18 years old;
- participate in all elements of the workshops so that you can benefit from the full experience;
- be willing and enthusiastic to learn something new and / or build upon your existing experiences;
- take part in feedback, evaluation and monitoring exercises prior to, during and after the workshop series.
What are the workshops?
Our workshops will take place during August 2021 and have been designed to give you a different type of skill-set and to start you thinking about the direction that you might want take during or after education.
- Thursday 5th August 2021 – Fitness and Well-Being – 11am – 12pm
- Friday 6th August 2021 – Rich Teen Poor Teen – 11am – 1.30pm
- Monday 9th August 2021 – Public Speaking – 1pm – 2pm
- Thursday 12th August 2021 – Fitness and Well-Being- 11am – 12pm
- Friday 13th August 2021 – Your Money is Your Business – 11am – 1.30pm
- Monday 16th August 2021 – Lobbying for Change | Workshop 1 – 11am – 12pm
- Thursday 19th August 2021 – Fitness and Well-Being – 11am – 12pm
- Friday 20th August 2021 – Introduction to Investment – 11am – 1.30pm
- Monday 23rd August 2021 – Lobbying for Change | Workshop 2 – 11am – 12pm
- Thursday 26th August 2021 – Fitness and Well-Being – 11am – 12pm
- Friday 27th August 2021 – How to Make Investments – 11am – 1.30pm
If you are having any issues, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What do I need to do now?
All you need to do now is:
- Register as an UpSkill Yourself participant
- Book your space on the online workshops via the Eventbrite listings
- Wait for the emails confirming your registration and zoom links to attend the online workshops
- You will also receive a text reminder the day before and morning of the workshop
If you are having any issues or need more information, please email us at email@example.com and someone will get back to you shortly.
We are a Volunteer-Led organisation and all of our current voluntary role descriptions can be found using the following links.
Working in partnership with……